Sunday, November 08, 2009

Beak on the Town

Oddly I have never been to the Statue of Liberty and have resided in NYC for decades.
I went and it was okay. However, I see the statue in my commutes so it was not as special for me as others. Ellis Island was closed so we didn't get there.

From there I went to Chinatown. Along the day I met people from my past in the fashion world. The economy has been very rough on them.

From there I went to Umberto's in Little Italy. My friends are always saying how lousy the place is and that it is only for tourists. The restaurant is famous as the place where Crazy Joe Gallo met his maker. The menu did not offer anything special as it was something locals call "paint by numbers Italian". However, the food may have been paint by numbers but is was excellent. The staff was professional even if I did not hear my favorite line Foughetabout it when I asked if they had San Pellogrino water. My friends prefer the oddities and more elaborate fare. I can always make do with whatever food is available. I will be going back again real soon.

From there I went to the Strand Bookstore. I have been going there for years. Showing the person I was there with the prices and selection was fun. I was not searching for oddities so the stay. I purchased two Mitchner hardcovers for less than 15. I bought a copy of Caravans for a friend and Creatures and Kingdom for myself. Creatures and Kingdom is a great book for teens who like animals with short attention spans. It is a delightful compilation of Mitchner's animal stories.

I am taking a day off on Wed to go on the town again

1 comment:

Ducky's here said...

Beak, it you are ever in the Hub, let me take you over to The Red Bookstore in Central Square.
It's still going strong.